Beach, barn, ballroom, DIY? There's so much to choose from!Read More
Never underestimate the power of a great playlist. When planning an unforgettable reception, every bride must be armed with a few “must play” songs for her deejay or band. Why? Because in addition to getting everyone out of their seats and on their feet, your playlist will set the tone for your party—and leave a lasting impression on each of your guests.
When compiling a playlist, it’s easy to fall into the trap of picking only crowd-pleasing or quintessential wedding songs (like “Don’t Stop Believin’ ” by Journey or “Shout” by The Isley Brothers). While these are great party hits, they are also a bit overused—so it’s best not to get carried away with typical wedding songs.
In 2018, there is no shortage of diverse mega hits that can and should make it onto your big-day playlist.
“We went through a number of years where everything was higher energy, and now the popular songs have a more laid-back, lounge or R&B feel to them,” says Mike Walter, owner of Elite Entertainment in Tinton Falls. Walter predicts that hip-hop artists like Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar and Post Malone will be pumping out of speakers at many of this year’s weddings.
Latin-influenced pop songs are also having a big moment. With “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi sitting at the top of the charts in 2017, and “Havana” by Camila Cabello currently ruling, it’s no surprise that these songs will get guests on their feet. “They really heat up the dance floor,” says Walter.
At SCE Event Group in West Long Branch, Jeff Gould often sits down with couples that request cover songs instead of radio edits. “These days, with access to YouTube, Spotify and Pandora, couples are naturally looking for a wider variety of music,” he says. Picking a lesser-known version of a chart-topper is a smart way to add unexpected flair to your playlist.
We’ve included below a roster of trending songs for your 2018 wedding. Are any of them on your must-play list?
1. “Meant to Be,” Bebe Rexha, featuring Florida Georgia Line
2. “Finesse,” Bruno Mars, featuring Cardi B
3. “Tennessee Whiskey,” Chris Stapleton
4. “Let Me Go,” Hailee Steinfeld, Alesso, featuring Florida Georgia Line, WATT
5. “Feel It Still,” Portugal. The Man
6. “The Middle,” Zedd, Maren Morris, Grey
7. “God’s Plan,” Drake
8. “Lights Down Low,” MAX, featuring gnash
9. “Wolves,”Selena Gomez, featuring Marshmello
10. “Feels,” Calvin Harris, featuring Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean
11. “Unforgettable,” French Montana, featuring Swae Lee
12. “Stay,” Zedd, featuring Alessia Cara
13. “Pray for Me,” The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar
14. “Rockstar,” Post Malone, featuring 21 Savage
15. “Die with You,” Beyoncé
16. “No Excuses,” Meghan Trainor
17. “Tequila,” Dan + Shay
18. “Sit Next to Me,” Foster the People
19. “Something Just Like This,” The Chainsmokers, Coldplay