You said yes! Now it’s time to set up your engagement shoot. But before you jump in with newly engaged enthusiasm, here are some tips to keep in mind. A little planning can go a long way toward gorgeous shots!
1. While “hire an engagement shoot photographer” may be at the top of your to-do list in the early stages of wedding planning, it pays to do additional research and see if the wedding photographers you’re interested in offer an engagement shoot as part of their entire wedding package. This will save you money!
2. Decide on a location for your shoot. It could be where you first met, a place that means a lot to the two of you, a farm with amazing fields and barn backdrops, NYC with its energy and vibrance or just a beautiful spot your photographer can recommend. Decide if you only want to spend an hour at the shoot—or if you plan to make a day of it, with multiple backdrops and various wardrobe changes.
3. Choose complementary outfits for both you and your fiancé. Bright colors work best, and try to avoid all black or all white. Complicated patterns can be distracting. Think timeless: You’ll have these images for the rest of your lives, so don’t wear a trendy brand that may be out of fashion in a few years.
4. Use this shoot as a trial run for your wedding, and get to know your photographer. The more comfortable you are with each other, the better the images will turn out!
5. Have your hair, nails and makeup done beforehand. Grooming for your fiancé, too! This is another opportunity for a test run, but this time with your beauty experts.
6. Keep in mind that these shots are for you—not social media, your parents or anyone else. So do what you’re comfortable with, and above all, have fun!
Submit your engagement story or photo shoot to us and be featured on our site!
More from Kaitlin and Ryan’s Winter Engagement Session.