Single ladies and brides alike can attest to this: You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.
Not so lucky for us, there’s lots of frogs hopping around, very carefully disguised as your Prince Charming. To make it a little easier for you to spot them, we compiled a list of 12 signs (or red flags) to look out for when he’s just so not the one.
1. He won’t let you look at his phone. Not that you should be snooping (that’s so beneath you) – but I mean, if he gets out of bed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and brings his phone with him, that may not be a good sign.
2. He gets drunk with his buddies every single weekend. Married couples like to live it up as much as anyone I’ve ever met, and I commend them for that. However, if you’re dating a guy that blacks out every Friday, Saturday and possibly Sunday night, you can’t expect him to transform into a straight-edge Prince Charming the minute a ring is on his finger. He should be comfortable with your weekend lifestyle and you should be comfortable with his. Otherwise, it’s your relationship that’s on the rocks.
Image via nicolemartinsferreira.com
3. He has a serious thing about his ex-girlfriend. It doesn’t matter if he’s still crushing on her or cursing her off every chance he gets–if the man is still hell-bent on keeping her presence in his life, that’s less room for you and your future to be in it.
4. He’s controlling. Texting you non-stop when you’re at the movies…giving you the third-degree when you’ve spent a night out with the girls…asking you to send a pictures to prove you’re at home….uh, that’s not the guy that’s going to help build your loving trusting marriage, got it?
5. He doesn’t appreciate your body the way it is. There’s nothing wrong with being with a man that encourages you to better yourself–nothing wrong at all. But don’t mistake him for the man that constantly has some nit-picky thing to say about how you look or present yourself. The man you deserve to marry is going to think you look fine-as-hell when you’re 10 pounds up, wearing sweatpants with pizza sauce running down your face. And you’ll love him the same. Remember that!
6. He doesn’t listen to you. Arguments are a fundamental part of every relationship. For any argument to be resolved, both parties have to listen and learn from their mistakes. Pay close attention to the arguments you have and be wise enough to notice if you’re really just having the same one over and over again.
7. Each and every member of his family could be the Mayor of Crazytown. Every family is a little bizarre in its own way. But if you’re already cringing at the thought of spending a Sunday at brunch with his mom (who picks you apart and takes a trip to the bathroom every time the bill lands on the table) or the creepy uncle (that makes a pass at you at every family gathering), you may want to address that now and not later.
8. He often doesn’t do what he says he’s going to do. If he texts you 15 minutes before you’re supposed to meet for drinks and claims that something came up, he’s human. If he does it religiously, he’s a liability. You can’t build a future with someone that’s always taking a rain-check.
9. He’s a name-caller. Newsflash: words CAN hurt. If hitting below the belt is his go-to, he’s probably not your Mr. Right.
10. He lies about little stupid things. Lying about little things is sort of like a gateway-drug to lying about big things. And you never want to be faced with the fact that…
11. He’s a cheater. This should be a no-brainer. If he’s cheated before (maybe even on another girlfriend) there’s always chance he will again. I’m aware that there are exceptions to the rule; everyone can fall down the rabbit hole once, maybe. Twice is a decision…and a deal-breaker.
12. Your friends hate him. A “bad boyfriend” review from your best friends is pretty much the kiss of death to your relationship. If the people that have been your friends for years (and proven to love and protect you no matter what) think that your beau is a total d-bag, you might want to take that into consideration. And don’t get mad at them when they come on strong. They want to see you happy.
Join in! Leave your comments below.
Follow Denise on Twitter.