When it comes to beauty and skincare, results matter—especially leading up to your wedding. Whether you have six months or six days before the big day, there are lots of great options out there to help you look your best. Stacey Catalogna, marketing director of Depasquale the Spa in Morris Plains, has six suggestions to try before saying “I Do.”
1. Micro-needling. This process rebuilds the skin’s collagen and elastin, with results that last up to four months after the treatment. “I love this treatment,” Catalogna says. “It is great for age prevention, sun spots and scarring.” After a light microdermabrasion, a wand or roller covered with tiny needles is passed over the skin. That’s followed by a vitamin C serum, retinol and SPF. Product penetration is 80 percent more effective than without the micro-needling, and skin should be smoother and more radiant within 24 hours. Micro-needling can also treat enlarged pores and scarring.
2. Eyelash extensions. Who hasn’t longed for thick, movie-star lashes? Extensions are available in full (70 to 90 eyelashes per eye) or partial (40 to 50 eyelashes per eye) sets. “Eyelash extensions accentuate your eyeshade and color,” says Catalogna. “It opens up the eye, and a full set eliminates the need for mascara.” They last two to three weeks between fill-ins, so be sure to plan accordingly. And keep them on for your honeymoon. You’ll look absolutely gorgeous in the pool and won’t have to worry about runny mascara!
3. Body exfoliation. This is a great way to slough off dry, dead skin and help prevent ingrown hairs. “The exfoliation adds an overall glow to your body and leaves your skin touchably soft,” Catalogna says. Whether you head to a spa for a full microdermabrasion or AHA treatment or give this a try at home with a sugar or salt scrub, make sure to focus on hard-to-reach areas like elbows, knees, shoulders and your back—especially important with backless gowns.
4. Sunless tanning. Nothing goes better with a wedding dress than glowing skin, but lying in the sun certainly isn’t an option. That’s where sunless tanners, in either lotion or spray-on formulas, come in. While you can go the DIY route, it’s worth it to avoid streaks and leave it to the professionals to ensure perfect wedding photos. Results can last from five to seven days, and tanners contain no harmful UVA or UVB rays to damage skin.
5. Multifunctional skincare. Everyone is busy—whether you are planning the wedding of your dreams, or just trying to get out the door to work in the morning. Saving time while caring for your skin is a win-win. Using a high-quality daily moisturizer that contains sunblock before your foundation can shave precious moments off your beauty routine. Or on a casual day, skip the foundation all together and opt for a tinted moisturizer with SPF. These 3-in-1 products will protect your skin from free radicals and sun damage, and leave you time for an extra cup of coffee!
Besides being a great beautifier, a spa day full of manis, pedis, facials and massages also makes a great bridesmaid bonding experience. What could be better than spending a day with your favorite girls, coming away glowing and refreshed?
[ Photo Credit: Off Beet Productions. Find Carly and Doug’s Mallard Island Yacht Club wedding featured in our newest issue. ]