When it comes to the precious metal of an engagement ring, gold and platinum are usually top of mind. Yet people are more apt to go for gold, assuming platinum is out of reach — only for the ultra-rich and celebrities on the red carpet. Hence why they call it “the rich man’s gold,” right? Actually, they’re wrong. Here are five reasons from the experts at Blue Nile on why brides (and grooms!) should choose platinum:
1. Dad always said buy low, sell high. Platinum prices are trading low right now due to the current market structure. Depending on the day, it could even be lower than gold. It’s only a matter of time before the price shoots back up and your engagement ring becomes even more valuable as a family heirloom.
2. Platinum is rare. In fact, platinum is 30 times more rare than gold. The precious white metal is more difficult to extract from mines and the majority of it comes from only two countries – South Africa and Russia.
3. It is seriously dense. You want to know the real reason why celebrities pick platinum as the backdrop for their bling? Platinum is so durable and dense it is the most secure setting to hold diamonds in place. Think of it as an investment to protect your other investment.
4. The purity is sky high. The platinum used at Blue Nile is 95% pure, which means you’re getting the real deal. That also means it’s naturally hypoallergenic, making it ideal for people with sensitive skin.
5. Platinum will last forever. There is a reason why many Blue Nile customers choose platinum over other metals for their wedding and engagement rings. Platinum’s naturally white sheen will never fade or change color, unlike white gold, which needs to be re-plated. It’s the ultimate symbol for true, enduring, and everlasting love. Cheesy, but true!