The holiday season is the best time to take a breather from the wedding planning and rekindle the romance with your partner. It’s the time of year where everyone is full of joy and hope for the New Year. We’re all looking for ways to be kinder to one another and spread love, thus setting the scene for those warm fuzzy feelings and magical moments. The elements are already in place for romance, with sparkling Christmas lights and shimmering decorations, so now is the perfect time to reconnect and plan a memorable date with your significant other.
1. Cut down your own Christmas tree Most counties in New Jersey have a few Christmas tree farms where you can cut down your own tree. Some even offer snacks like funnel cake and hot chocolate to enjoy as you try to find your perfect tree.
2. Make a gingerbread house Have a nice night in and build a gingerbread house. You could each make your own gingerbread house and compare them when they’re done, or work together to create the perfect gingerbread house.
3. Bake cookies and watch holiday movies. Everyone has a favorite holiday movie, put it on in the background as you bake holiday cookies.
4. Drive around to look at the Christmas lights and festive decorations. Not only are people’s house decked out with Christmas lights, but even store-fronts and town centers are filled with holiday decorations. Take a drive around your neighborhood or surrounding areas and enjoy the festive scenery together.
5. Go Christmas shopping together. You already have to buy presents for your friends and family, so why not make a date night out of it? Your partner might have the perfect idea on what you should buy your grandpa, and you might be able to help pick out the perfect sweater for his aunt.
6. Go ice skating, sledding or build a snow man (weather permitting). Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy outdoor activities. Even if you aren’t good at it, going ice skating can be a lot of fun. Hold hands and help each other balance… and don’t feel bad laughing if one of you falls!
7. Go to New York City to see the Christmas tree. Here in New Jersey, we are lucky that we live just a train (or bus or car) ride away from New York. Take your date into the city and walk around Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree or walk around Times Square and do some shopping. The possibilities are endless in NYC!
8. Go see the Nutcracker or The Radio City Christmas Spectacular ft. the Rockettes. What’s more festive than going to a holiday show? Plan a night out with dinner before the show, or drinks and apps after the show. A holiday twist on dinner and a movie.
9. Decorate a Christmas tree together. Whether it’s the tree you have together or it’s just your Christmas tree, decorating together is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit.
10. Volunteer at a soup kitchen, food pantry or other charity. See your partner in a different light by rolling up your sleeves and volunteering at a local charity or soup kitchen. Many people are feeling extra generous during the holiday time, so charities need a few extra hands to handle the influx of donations. Many soup kitchens plan holiday dinners and need all the help they can get, so it’s a perfect time to get involved with your community. Spend time with your significant other while helping those less fortunate than you.
11. Drink hot chocolate and cuddle by the candlelight (or Christmas tree light). There’s nothing like getting cozy on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate, cuddled up next to the one you love.
12. Spend a night at a Bed and Breakfast. Around the holiday times, work might be slowing down and you can enjoy a little extra time with your significant other. Take advantage by spending the night at a Bed and Breakfast. The Christmas lights and decorations will give the B&B an even more romantic feel, making this the perfect time for a mini-getaway. Reconnect with your honey away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
13. Go on a Christmas light show hayride or a holiday horse drawn carriage. This seems like it might be something new, but you can take a holiday hayride with music and a light show. They also offer horse drawn hayrides. If you’re looking for something different to do, this definitely sounds like a fun idea.
14. Have an intimate champagne toast. The holidays, while full of love, can be a very hectic time. Take a moment to yourselves when things have calmed down and enjoy a champagne toast.